The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is a non-profit zoo located near Powell – north of the city of Columbus. The Zoo is home to more than 7,000 animals, representing 800 species and sees over 2.3 million visitors annually.
The Columbus Zoo operates with eight regions, owns an 18 hole golf course, Zoombezi Bay and a conservation program. The zoo has a relationship with the Wilds.
The 8 Regions of the Zoo:
1. Adventure Cove opened in 2020 and contains a pool for California sea lions and harbor seals, Animal Encounter, and Stingray Bay. Animals include: California Sea Lion, Toco Toucan, North African Tortoise, Southern Stingray, and Asian small-clawed otter.
2. North America contains 15 large exhibits and contains a train ride that circles the region and travels past the open plains exhibits. Animals include: American black bear, Alaska moose, Reindeer, and Bison.
3. Polar Frontier features colder climates – includes an underwater viewing area. Animals include the polar bear, brown bear, and arctic fox.
4. Asia Quest has a waterfall, cave, rock walls, glass- many of these creatures are threatened in the wild. Animals include: Sloth bear, Indian elephant, rhino, water monitor, tufted deer.
5. Shores & Aquarium – Discovery Reef and Manatee Coast. Discovery Reef is a salt water aquarium and houses seahorses, sharks, and eels. Manatee Coast has Florida manatees, stingrays, pelicans, and sea turtles. The Reptile Habitat has numerous snakes, terrapins, and turtles.
6. The Congo Expedition had chimpanzees, bonobos, and gorillas along with leopard, and hogs.
7. Australia and the Islands includes koala, kangaroos, porcupines, and Tasmanian devil.
8. The Heart of Africa includes lions, giraffes, cheetahs, monkeys, and zebras. Giraffe feeding and camel rides are part of the experience.
The Columbus Zoo includes a carousel, Zoombezi Bay, and Rides at Adventure Cove.
The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium runs a conservation program that funds multiple projects outside the zoo.
Check out the Columbus Zoo
This blog post was sponsored by the Columbus Zoo – all content and opinions are my own.